|Morning pre-launch at a KATS Tournament|
The event brought attention to one of the fastest growing sports in the United States, and around the world--kayak fishing. It was great for the sport of kayak fishing; it was even covered by BASS on www.bassmaster.com. The only problem was that it did not truly crown a "world champion." To my knowledge, only members of the Hobie kayak fishing team and Pro-Staff competed. Kayak fishing is ready for a true champion.
There is not a faster growing section of the fishing industry than kayak fishing, and kayak manufactures have taken note. Companies are creating some of the best fishing platforms that man powered fishing have ever seen. Heck, many of these new fishing kayaks rival, if not surpass, the "fish-ability" of gas or electric powered boats. The sport is growing, the industry is booming, its time for an event with anglers from all manufacturers to compete amongst one another. A Manufacturers Cup.
Now, I know that not all kayak anglers, and many excellent kayak fishermen at that, are not affiliated with a specific brand of kayak, and I do think it is time for a National Kayak Bass Fishing Tournament Trail also, as I have written about before in, Case for a "Big Time" Kayak Fishing Tournament Trail. But this is something slightly different. This would face the best-of-the-best kayak anglers from each manufacturer, all sporting the latest and greatest fishing platforms, against one another, and a two true champions would be crowned. A champion angler, and a champion manufacturer.
Here is the set-up for the Manufactures Cup:
- A body of water would be chosen, and this location would change each year. It would bounce between regions and types of water. For example, year one would be a bass fishing tournament held on a lake in the Southeast. Year two would be a saltwater redfish tournament along the Louisiana coast. Year three, a walleye tournament up North, and four, a saltwater tournament off the coast of California, and so on.
- The event would last for three days, with rules established according to local regulations, and the total stringer from each day would be added up for the final total used to crown the winner(s).
- Each manufacturer wanting to participate would be allowed to send up to five anglers to the event, representing that team. It would be up to the manufacturer to decided how they want to choose their anglers each year.
- Each angler would compete against each other for the title of "Angler of the Year."
- Each angler would also be a member of his/her manufacturers "team", and a yearly Manufacturer Champion would be crowned. The largest total stringers, from the top three anglers from each team, would be added together to name the champion team.
- After the tournament, trophies would be handed out, and good times would be shared by all competitors, manufacturers, hosts, and fans.
A tournament of this nature would be an excellent way to introduce new products, showcase each manufacturers fishing team, and continue to grow the sport of fishing. The event could have booths from each kayak manufacturer to display their products, that would also provide an opportunity for the fans to walk around and meet the anglers. Manufacturers of other kayak related products, such as paddles, PFDs, and other accessories, could also have booths to showcase their products.
I can think of no greater way to showcase the sport of kayak fishing, and the latest and greatest kayak fishing products than a Manufactures Cup. This is something that needs to happen, and happen soon. I would be more than willing to talk with each and every company and help get this annual tournament established.
If you are reading this and work for a kayak company, contact those in power and get them interested. If they want to contact me about this, my info will be listed at the bottom of this article. If you are just a fan that thinks something like this needs to happen, let me, and everyone else, know. Share this post on facebook and twitter, email it to you friends, and send it to your favorite kayak company. Tell them to help get this thing going. The more interest we can drum up for this, the more likely it will happen.
I look forward to such a great even taking place in 2013! I hope you do too!
Thanks for reading, and thanks for you interest. Here is my contact information for all of those who need it:
If you want to call me, email me, and I will send you my phone number.