I am going to go a different route this morning for Every Day In May. The topic is Leader, but instead of talking about the leaders of bass fishing. I decided it would be fun to list who I think are the 5 Best Bass Anglers of all time, and then list the 5 most important anglers to kayak bass fishing. Let me know your thoughts and who you would select.
Here are my Top 5:
1) Kevin VanDam - 7 BASS Angler or the Year titles, 2001 FLW Angler of the Year, 4 time Bassmaster Classic Champ, over 5.5 million in winnings, 20 BASS wins, and 21 Classic Apperances. I think it would be hard to argue this one.
2) Roland Martin - 9 BASS Angler of the Year titles, 19 BASS wins, 25 Classic Appearances
3) Rick Clunn - 4 Classic Wins, 17 BASS Wins, and 1 BASS Angler of the Year Title
4) Bill Dance - 3 Angler of the Year Awards, 23 National Bass Fishing Wins, 7 BASS Wins, 8 Classic Appearances
5) Gary Klein - 29 Bassmaster Classic appearances, 12 Classic top 5's, and 2 Angler of the Year Awards.
Most important to Kayak Fishing (These are not necessarily the "best" just the most important):
1) Hank Parker - He might not have developed a kayak or invented anything new for it, but he has been the face of bass fishing from a kayak for a long time. He was the first I can remember to have a TV Show fishing from a Kayak.
2) Chad Hoover - Wilderness Systems Pro-Staff Director, co-owner of Hook1 Kayak Fishing Gear, founder of KayakBassFishing.com, author of The Definitive Guide to Kayak Bass Fishing, and now Kayak Fishing TV Show host of Knot Right Kayak Fishing. He has been a large part of the recent growth of the sport
3) Drew Gregory - Kayak Fishing Pro, Tournament Founder, and Fishing Kayak Designer at Jackson Kayak, Drew has his own signature kayak, the Jackson Coosa, and has helped to develop the Cuda, and Big Tuna. He has also helped to promote River Fishing through his website riverbassin.com.
4) Luther Cifers - Kayak Fishing innovator, he is the founder of YakAttack. YakAttack designs and manufactures products for kayak safety and kayak fishing. If you need an accessory to make bass fishing from your kayak a little easier, I bet YakAttack has it.
5) Heck there are so many good anglers and innovators that I don't know who to choose for the final spot in the top 5...what are your thoughts? Should it be a writer/blogger/magazine editor, a professional angler, an innovator, or something else. Who would you choose?